Monday, June 6, 2011

It is what it is

(The title is for Sara Robb, Siobhan Hickerson and Misha Venegas.)

It's been an interesting start to the week. I didn't think I'd have internet at all this week, but the preacher's house on the same property as the church has wireless that I can use every once in a while. We had some issues getting from Ensenada to San Vicente, and once we got here we had some issues with our hotel reservations.

I know that we are doing God's work in here in San Vicente, because Satan wouldn't be working so hard to mess up the plans of the group from Woodland Street. Speaking of this group, I LOVE THEM! The group is smaller than most, with only about 15 people here. Half of them are youth group members and the other half are adults.

The group is from Alabama, and they are all so joyful, hardworking and so so kind to us translators. Though the experience we bonded over wasn't the best, Siobhan, Sara and I all felt like a part of their tight-knit group within hours of meeting them. I love serving God with people I can laugh with and work hard with.

The group is doing house visits, some construction projects around the church and a small clinic. Dr. Naden brought about $3000 worth of medicine to give out to people he treats. This morning I translated the reception table, getting people signed in and through the blood pressure, temperature and vitals stations. Tomorrow, I think I'm going to be translating for the doctor, which is much more difficult. I'm excited to fumble through all the human anatomy words that I don't know in Spanish. My "words that I learned because I didn't know them when I needed to know them" notebook is going to fill up a lot faster than I planned...

This week God has really put into perspective what is important and what isn't. We as Americans tend to depend on material possessions in a way that makes us almost addicted to them. I love coming to Mexico, because I find myself not checking Twitter every 10 minutes or wondering someone's going to respond to my Facebook wall post from five minutes ago. It's only been 4 days since I crossed the border, but I already feel at home with my translator family and in this country I love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment