Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hanging Loose in Zorrillo

 Well my week in El Zorrillo is over! The group from North Alabama is on their way back to San Diego right now, after eating one last lunch in Ensenada with Javier and Yolanda Franco.

This was the first week I've spend with the church in Zorrillo and I absolutely fell in love with the people there! I translated the kids class all week, and with an average of 50 kids per night (each of whom seemed to scream all the time an incredible volumes...), that was a challenge.
Jessica, on Sunday night of the kids' classes.

I stayed in the clinic all morning, translating for two EMTs, a nurse practitioner and a nursing school student. Not only did the group host a clinic each day, but they also took their medicine to the streets and canvased the whole barrio, going on house calls when they got wind of sick people who were stuck in their homes.

Overall, including the on-site clinic and the house calls, we think about 140 patients were seen. Rick, one of the EMTs in this group, is known for being "needle-happy," giving shots and IVs whenever he sees fit. His reputation preceded him, and as people came into the clinic, they asked me which one to avoid so they wouldn't get a shot! It was pretty funny.


This is Jesus. And he is precious.
Overall, we worked really hard this week and I'm excited to have a break this afternoon and tomorrow to catch up on sleep and maybe catch some rays, fingers-crossed. You'd think, being in Mexico that I'd be able to retain my tan pretty well, but I've spent most every day inside a clinic translating. So my color is fading daily....

Saturday we head back down to San Vicente with two groups-- Owen's Crossroads and Guntersville. OXR is working with the Erendira church and Guntersville is on their first trip to the San Vicente church. They'll both be staying at the same hotel in San Vicente and eating breakfast and dinner together, so I think each translator will get a chance to work with each group/church.

I should have internet during at least some of the days while I'm at the church in San Vicente, so I might get a blog up next week. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment